Rong Qiao Sedbergh School, Fuzhou, China
Date posted: 1 Mar 2021
Start date: August 2021
Contract type: Full Time
Contract term: Fixed Term
Suitable for NQTs: No
Rong Qiao Sedbergh School (RQSS) is a new bilingual international boarding school which opened in September 2018. We have a very close working relationship with Sedbergh School UK and aim to deliver an exceptional learning environment, providing an exciting and holistic education for both Chinese and foreign students. The school currently comprises 10% international and 90% Chinese students, with a projected final capacity of 2,700. At RQSS we share the core values of Sedbergh School, UK, building on their excellent reputation and almost 500 years of history. The school is in a phenomenally busy phase of growth and there are a number of exciting challenges ahead. Resilience, positivity and a willingness to get involved are important. As a boarding school, there is an expectation that the successful candidate will participate in the School’s pastoral and extracurricular activity programmes.
Opportunities to take a residential role as a house mistress or housemaster are available with a reduced teaching commitment.
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant subject;
- Recognised teaching qualification for the required age range (e.g. B.Ed., PGCE);
- Minimum of three years teaching experience in teaching Biology/Chemistry in a senior school setting;
- Minimum of two years of middle leadership experience;
- Sensitivity to the cultural differences found in China and the willingness to develop and maintain a cross-cultural approach to work;
- A positive attitude, professional collegial attributes, with a, ‘can do’, attitude;
- Committed to safeguarding and suitable to work with children in a boarding school setting.
- Previous experience of teaching ESL students is an advantage;
- Experience in a boarding school environment.
The Upper Senior School Head of Science will have key responsibilities including:
- Support students in fulfilling the school vision as described by our five core values: Moral, Intellectual, Physical, Social and Aesthetic
- Support student wellbeing, by ensuring students studying in the department are safe and cared for in a positive supportive learning environment that enables them to flourish
- Actively support the safeguarding of children and ensure all safeguarding procedures are followed
- Ensure all students make excellent progress in the Science subjects
- Deploy science technicians and support staff to ensure that students are safe and students make excellent progress
- Ensure that the working area, equipment, materials, chemicals and student conduct support student safety in the science area, including ensuring all risk-assessments are completed and up to date and reviewed on an on-going basis
- Ensuring all teachers within the Science department set appropriately challenging lessons for all students;
- Monitor and develop the quality of teaching, assessment and feedback within the Science department;
- To oversee the development of schemes of work and procurement of all teaching resources with the purchasing team;
- To plan assessment, feedback and intervention within the Science department to ensure excellent results;
- Planning and preparing courses and lessons; teaching students, according to their educational needs;
- The setting and marking of work (including examinations where appropriate) to be carried out by the students;
- Assessing, recording and reporting on the development, progress and attainment of students;
- Preparing students for examinations and their next level of study;
- Support students with their English language academic proficiency through discrete teaching of subject-specific terminology and language
- Promoting the general progress and well-being of individual students;
- Helping students to succeed in their learning tasks, giving them good experience so that they develop self-respect and foster personal maturity;
- Providing guidance and advice to students on educational and social matters;
- Communicating and consulting with the parents of students;
- Taking a full and active role in the wider life of the school, always exemplifying the values and ethos of the school;
- Participate in and provide continuing professional development activities
- Support day and residential trips to enhance and encourage the skills and experience of all students. Ensuring all school trip procedures are followed;
- Attend assemblies, registering attendance of students and supervising students whether before, during or after school;
- Offer extra-curricular activities to support the ethos and enrichment of the school’s provision;
- Contribute to and attend whole school community events throughout the year;
- To participate in marketing activities to encourage enrolment into the school;
- To identify and research resources and equipment required for teaching;
- To ensure the senior school remains tidy and presentable;
- To participate in the delivery of boarding provision;
- To complete any other reasonable duty as requested by the Principal/Head of Section
- To manage support staff within Science to meet the needs of the curriculum and learners.
- To take the lead in the provision of additional Science. For example STEM and Aim Higher links with University (Science)
Please email your CV (listing two references) to email@example.com detailing the position you are applying for in the subject header. Deadline for applications Sunday 28th March 2021
Candidates are encouraged to apply ahead of the application deadline. Longlisted candidates will be selected on receipt of CVs and contacted for a zoom interview. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an interview ASAP thereafter.
Rong Qiao Sedbergh School is committed to safeguarding and child welfare. Candidates must be prepared to undergo child protection screening and appropriate pre-employment checks.